Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Gamers R Me

I like games.

That's the easiest way to describe my favorite hobby. I've had many on again off again relationships with MMO's for the past five years or so (including a brief but torrid affair with LOTRO), but I don't discriminate. I love all sorts of games.

I ended up in a committed relationship with WoW, even though I had my suspicions that it was seeing other gamers.

After the expansion came out, WoW and I had a fight about PvP. I told WoW to call me if it could really commit to the PvP aspect of our relationship. WoW still has my number (credit card number), but it hasn't called yet.

So...I've moved on to Warhammer Online. I decided to take a break from the DPS classes, since I have never really played a character that didn't stab things, explode things, or ... um... stab things in a slightly different way.

I almost succeeded. I ended up creating a Disciple of Khaine on Bechafen. For those of you not familiar with this type of character, it's essentially a stabby healer. (Unfortunately, that provides us with a great excuse to get ourselves killed. "Whaaaaat? I HAVE to stab that bright wizard in order to heal you. You want heals, right?")

Mission accomplished! I have a healer.

My girlfriend is a different matter.

I let her play WAR a little bit during the open beta. Given that she had no previous MMO experience (and doesn't really like RPG's in general), I suggested that she pick a straightforward and fun class to take for a test drive.

1 witch elf later, she asked when she would have her own WAR account.

That was quite a pleasant surprise. Hot girl gamers only exist in the imaginations of deluded guy gamers, right? Right? Nope.

Of course, she did inform me that if I told her family that she was in a guild, she'd kill me. Still have to work on the whole 'guild pride' thing. Baby steps.

I expect most of my posts to be WAR-centric, but we'll see. I'm fairly easily distra

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Belated welcome, and thanks for coming over my way to comment!

Either I missed it when WoW came out (too busy queueing at midnight for my copy... then waiting in queues), or WAR has really sparked a lot of people into blogspressing themselves. Good stuff!

Landstander said...

I have to admit, I haven't been interested in doing this before WAR. After reading several great posts by several great authors, I decided to jump in as well.

I've enjoyed what I've read over at Stylish!