Friday, October 31, 2008

I'll expand you!

For a long while, I've been thinking 'I'm sure I'll buy the Wrath expansion and level my mage or warlock to 80. Why not?'

Then I realized...'Because it will work out like BC -- all gear outdated and replaced with quest greens in no time. PvP will reset. Everyone will race to 80 and I still won't end up seeing the really cool instances.'

Now, this same statement has been made by many different people in many different places. It just didn't sink in until I actually thought about *playing* WoW. The idea just no longer appeals to me. I think I would be a lot more likely to go back and play WoW if there *wasn't* an expansion.

I never raided enough to see the cool stuff (didn't spend enough time in game for that), although I loved instances when I had an opportunity to get into them. I loved PvP as a member of an organized group before BC...but I can't handle PuGs or Arenas with both myself and my partner being undergeared and rusty.

No...I think that WoW has taken everything I've accomplished in game and said 'Well, that actually doesn't mean anything now. Have fun doing it over.'

They've done it a couple of times now. It all started when they changed the PvP system. I worked freakin' *hard* to get to rank 11. A few months later...the whole system changed. Don't get me wrong. The initial PvP/honor system was seriously screwed up, and it needed fixed -- it's just that Blizzard really killed my faith in them as an MMO company by changing a niche of the game to appeal to the masses.

Great business strategy...but eventually people are going to tire of having their favorite aspects of a game wiped out so that it will appeal to a larger audience.

I don't hate WoW...it's just that I don't love it anymore.

I'm sorry. This hurts you more than it hurts me.

No comments: