Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Multitasking Healer

When I got my first mastery point as a DoK, I immediately put it into the melee focused path. After all, the zealots and shaman are the *actual* healers, right?

I played a few scenarios in which I was one of two healers. Coincidentally, I also died a LOT. Not because I healed so much that the other team deemed me worthy of focus fire. No...I died because I charged into the fray, determined to get the killing blow on that bright wizard that killed me 15 times over the previous 2 games. (of Tor Anroc. Of course.)

It's just really hard to remember to heal when you are a DPS-minded individual in the middle of melee combat.

I decided that I would better serve the purposes of Destruction by healing as my healer.

Don't get me wrong, I had as much healing as I had damage in virtually every scenario I played from ranks 1-23. The problem is that both healing numbers and damage numbers take a big hit when I spend all of my time dead.

I changed my spec. I am now strictly healing...I've played several scenarios in which I had *zero* (that's right, zero) damage. It is a completely different experience. I barely even notice when a half-dead bright wizard looks at me funny. (Before, that was grounds for ... permanent...termination.)

The games seem to go better, my girlfriend stays alive longer, and I'm not spending 3/4 of the game watching that stupid rez timer.

So I'm leaving the damage to my alts, and I'm taking on the healing role!

...But a word to that bright wizard that keeps looking at me funny. If you happen to walk up near me...I *do* still have swords, and I *do* still know how to use them. (Pointy end towards the enemy.)

No comments: